1. Which of the following is true of mutations?
a. They will always cause a genetic disease.
b. They are always fatal.
c. They are never fatal.
d. Some are harmless and some quite dangerous.
2. Which type of radiation is capable of causing a mutation?
c. ultraviolet light
b. radio waves
d. all of these
3. Which of the following describes a plasmid?
a. It is a circular loop of double stranded DNA.
b. It is a left handed double helix of DNA.
c. It is a single stranded DNA.
d. None of these is correct.
4. Restriction endonucleases do which of the following?
a. cleave DNA at very specific locations based on the sequence of bases
b. limit which bases can be at the ends of a strand of DNA
c. remove specific codons DNA
d. remove specific exons from DNA
5. How many sticky ends are produced if a certain restriction endonuclease cleaves a plasmid at
three different locations ?
6. The restriction endonuclease TaqI recognizes the sequence TCGA and cuts it between T and C
on both strands. What sticky ends will be produced when TaqI cuts the sequence which
7. The restriction endonuclease EcoRI recognizes the sequence GAATTC and cuts it between G
and A on both strands. What sticky ends will be produced when EcoRI cuts the sequence
8. The following block diagram is a representation of the general cases of the central dogma of
molecular biology. Which of the following correctly assigns a name to the numbered boxes?
a. 1- DNA, 2-RNA, 3-Protein
c. 1-RNA, 2-DNA, 3-Protein
b. 1-Protein, 2-RNA, 3-DNA
d. 1-DNA, 2-Protein, 3-RNA
9. The following generalized reaction is used in one of the techniques for synthesizing
recombinant DNA. What type of enzyme is needed for reaction?
a. DNA ligase
c. peptidyl transferase
b. restriction endonuclease
d. DNA synthetase
10. Consider the following image. Which of the following substances has this structure?