1. What is the IUPAC name for the following compound?
a. 3-amino-2-hydroxybenzoic acid
b. 5-amino-2-hydroxybenzoic acid
d. 3-amino-6-hydroxybenzoic acid
2. Carboxylic acids can form hydrogen bonds with which of the following classes of compounds?
d. all of these
3. Carboxylic acids do not form hydrogen bonds with which of the following classes of
d. None, carboxylic acids form hydrogen bonds with all of these.
4. What would you expect is the order of water solubility for the following compounds?
a. A > B > C
c. B > A > C
b. C > A > B
d. A > C > B
5. Which type reaction is used to obtain fatty acids from animal fats?
6. What organic product will be formed when ammonium benzoate is treated with HCl?
c. benzoic acid
b. benzoyl ammonate
d. benzoic ammonia
7. Which of the following compounds will react with sodium hydroxide to form a water-soluble
b. hexanoic acid
d. all of these compounds
8. What type of compound is formed when a carboxylic acid reacts with an alcohol in the
presence of an acid catalyst?
c. either a or b, depending on the conditions
d. neither a nor b
9. Examine the following cut-away figure. Which of the following correctly describes this structure?
a. The interior is polar and exterior is nonpolar.
b. It is insoluble in water.
c. Grease adheres to the exterior.
d. none of the above
10. Salicylic acid has the structure shown below. Which of the following characterizes the organic product of the reaction of this substance with KOH?
a. It is more soluble in water than salicylic acid
b. It is named as potassium salicylide
c. It eventually decomposes to produce carbon dioxide.
d. This substance will not react with KOH.
Can’t find the questions that you need? Post Your Questions