1. On what basis was the name aromatic originally given to compounds?
A.They had strong odors.
B.Their first application was in aromatherapy.
C.Their odors were considered to be pleasant.
D.Their odors were considered to be unpleasant.
2. Which of the following observations was troublesome to 19th century chemists?
A.Benzene contains more hydrogen atoms than expected.
B.Benzene does not undergo combustion.
C.Benzene does not react similarly to alkenes.
D.Benzene reacts similarly to alkenes.
3. Which of the following is an appropriate definition of an aromatic compound?
A.Any compound that contains one or more benzene-like rings
B.Any compound that contains one or more 6-membered rings.
C.Any compound that contains a double bond within a 6-membered ring.
D.Any compound with a pleasant odor.
4. Which of the following is true of the reactivity of benzene?
A.It reacts readily with bromine to form 1,2-dibromobenzene.
B.It can be readily hydrogenated with H2/Pd.
C.It reacts readily with HBr to form bromobenzene.
D.None of the above is true.
5. What is the most specific name for the C6H5? group?
6. What is the correct IUPAC name of the following compound?
7. What is an acceptable name of the following compound?
8. How many constitutional isomers are possible when there are three identical substituents on a
9. Which of the following structures represents 2,4,6-tribromophenol?
10. Which of the following structures represents m-nitrobenzoic acid?
11. What is produced when benzene reacts with chlorine in the presence of an iron catalyst?
B.chlorobenzene and chlorine atoms
C.chlorobenzene and hydrogen chloride
D.chlorobenzene and water
12. Match up the applications to the compounds shown below?
A.(i) explosive; (ii) detergent
C.(i) explosive; (ii) vitamin
B.(i) detergent; (ii) explosive
D.(i) vitamin; (ii) detergent
13. In a phenol, which group is the substituent on the benzene ring?
14. If both a methyl group and a hydroxyl group are attached to a benzene ring, which of the following is the preferred way to name the compound in the IUPAC system?
A.as a hydroxymethylbenzene
C.as a methylphenol
B.as a hydroxytoluene
D.all of these are equally acceptable
15. Which of the following is the correct IUPAC name of the following compound?
16. Which of the following is the correct IUPAC name of the following compound?
17. Which of the following compounds is produced by the body as a natural “radical scavenger”?
18. Consider the following structure.
Which of the following correctly applies to this structure?
A.Called an arene.
B.Classified as an aromatic compound.
C.All carbon to carbon bonds are equivalent.
D.All of the above apply to this structure.
19. Consider the following structure.
This is commonly called BHT which is an antioxidant added to food. In the IUPAC name for this compound, the –OH group would correspond to which position in the numbering scheme?
20. Consider the following compound, Albuterol, used in bronchodialators.
How many benzene groups are present in this compound?
Can’t find the questions that you need? Post Your Questions