1. What is a major difference between inorganic and organic compounds?
a.There are many more inorganic compounds than organic compounds.
b.Organic compounds contain carbon; few inorganic compounds do.
c.Organic compounds are never ionic.
d.Organic compounds tend to be more polar than inorganic compounds
2. Which statement is correct? Functional groups are
a. chemical structures that contain mercury.
b. the parts of molecules used to distinguish between different organic compounds.
c. are ionically bound to each other in order to develop larger molecules.
d. there is more than one correct response.
3. Identify the correct statement: Alkanes represent one family of organic compounds
a. in which halogens are a major component.
b. in which there is at least one double bond between carbons.
c. that is composed of carbon and hydrogen.
d. in which hydrogens can be bonded to other hydrogens.
4. Which of the following formulas does not represent an organic compound?
d. All are organic compounds
5. Which of the following is an alcohol?
6. What is meant by the term “saturated” when describing hydrocarbons?
a. They are saturated with water.
b. The hydrocarbons are saturated with carbons in the skeleton of the compounds.
c. They are saturated with hydrogen and only have single bonds between carbons.
d. The container holding the compound has no other compound.
7. The naming of organic compounds is specific. Which is an incorrect statement?
a. Many compounds have been known long enough to have common names.
b. The naming system of organic compounds is set by IUPAC rules.
c. The naming system requires that the longest carbon chain must always be found.
d. Organic compounds must have both an IUPAC and a common name.
8. Identify the correct statement. Cycloalkanes are:
a. compounds that have a flat molecular structure.
b. saturated hydrocarbons.
c. compounds that cannot have the hydrogens removed and replaced by chlorine.
d. None of these statements is correct.
9. Which of the following terms applies to the alkanes?
10. What is a characteristic shared by the alkanes?
11. Which of the following is a use for alkanes?
d. more than one response is correct
12. Which of the following formulas represents a saturated hydrocarbon?
13. All of the members of the alkane series of hydrocarbons have the general formula _____ .
14. Which of the following structural formulas represents a normal (unbranched) alkane?
15. Which of the following compounds can exhibit structural isomerism?
16. How many structural isomers are possible for compounds with a molecular formula C4H10?
17. Which of the following compounds is a structural isomer of 2-methylbutane?
18. Which of the following is a structural isomer of the compound shown below?
19. How many structural isomers of C7H16 have five carbon atoms in the longest carbon chain?
20. The name for the following structure will end with:
Can’t find the questions/answers that you need? Post Your Questions